Website terms and conditions
In these Terms, ‘me’, ‘I’ and ‘my’ means WORDS for things.
I may disclose that information to third parties that help me deliver my services (including information technology suppliers, communication suppliers and my business partners) or as required by law. If you don’t provide this information, I may not be able to provide all of my services to you.
- how I store and use, and how you may access and correct your personal information
- how you can lodge a complaint regarding the handling of your personal information
- how I’ll handle any complaint.
If you would like any further information about my privacy policies or practices, please contact me at [insert forms of contact, eg, email address and/or phone number].
Accuracy, completeness and timeliness of information
The information on my website isn’t comprehensive and is intended to provide a summary of the subject matter covered. While I use all reasonable attempts to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information on my website, to the extent permitted by law, including the Australian Consumer Law, I make no warranty regarding the information on this website. You should monitor any changes to the information contained on this website.
I am not liable to you or anyone else if interference with or damage to your computer systems occurs in connection with the use of this website or a linked website. You must take your own precautions to ensure that whatever you select for your use from my website is free of viruses or anything else (such as worms or Trojan horses) that may interfere with or damage the operations of your computer systems.
I may, from time to time and without notice, change or add to the website (including the Terms) or the information, products or services described in it. However, I don’t undertake to keep the website updated. I am not liable to you or anyone else if errors occur in the information on the website or if that information isn’t current.
My website may contain links to websites operated by third parties. Those links are provided for convenience and may not remain current or be maintained. Unless expressly stated otherwise, I do not endorse and am not responsible for the content on those linked websites and have no control over or rights in those linked websites.
Intellectual property rights
Unless otherwise indicated, I own or license from third parties all rights, title and interest (including copyright, designs, patents, trademarks and other intellectual property rights) in this website and in all of the material (including all text, graphics, logos, audio and software) made available on this website (Content).
Your use of this website and use of and access to any Content does not grant or transfer any rights, title or interest to you in relation to this website or the Content. However, I do grant you a licence to access the website and view the Content on the terms and conditions set out in this Agreement and, where applicable, as expressly authorised by me and/or my third party licensors.
Any reproduction or redistribution of this website or the Content is prohibited and may result in civil and criminal penalties. In addition, you must not copy the Content to any other server, location or support for publication, reproduction or distribution is expressly prohibited.
All other use, copying or reproduction of this website, the Content or any part of it is prohibited, except to the extent permitted by law. However, you are permitted to make one copy of the Content for the purpose of viewing the Content for your own personal use.
You must not do any act that I would deem to be inappropriate, is unlawful or is prohibited by any laws applicable to my website, including but not limited to:
- any act that would constitute a breach of either the privacy (including uploading private or personal information without an individual’s consent) or any other of the legal rights of individuals
- using this website to defame or libel me, my employees or other individuals
- uploading files that contain viruses that may cause damage to my property or the property of other individuals
- posting or transmitting to this website any non-authorised material including, but not limited to, material that is, in my opinion, likely to cause annoyance, or which is defamatory, racist, obscene, threatening, pornographic or otherwise or which is detrimental to or in violation of my systems or a third party’s systems or network security.
If I allow you to post any information to my website, I have the right to take down this information at my sole discretion and without notice.
Warranties and disclaimers
To the maximum extent permitted by law, including the Australian Consumer Law, I make no warranties or representations about this website or the Content, including but not limited to warranties or representations that they will be complete, accurate or up-to-date, that access will be uninterrupted or error-free or free from viruses, or that this website will be secure.
I reserve the right to restrict, suspend or terminate without notice your access to this website, any Content, or any feature of this website at any time without notice and I will not be responsible for any loss, cost, damage or liability that may arise as a result.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, including the Australian Consumer Law, in no event shall I be liable for any direct and indirect loss, damage or expense – irrespective of the manner in which it occurs – which may be suffered due to your use of my website and/or the information or materials contained on it, or as a result of the inaccessibility of this website and/or the fact that certain information or materials contained on it are incorrect, incomplete or not up-to-date.
Jurisdiction and governing law
Your use of the website and these Terms are governed by the law of New South Wales and you submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts exercising jurisdiction in New South Wales.
Personal information includes information or an opinion about an individual that is reasonably identifiable. For example, this may include your name, age, gender, postcode and contact details.
What personal information do I collect?
I may collect the following types of personal information:
- mailing or street address
- email address
- telephone number and other contact details such as sicila media handles
- your device ID, device type, geo-location information, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information
- details of the products and services I have provided to you or that you have enquired about, including any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and respond to your enquiries
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to me directly through my website or app or indirectly through your use of my website or app or online presence or through other websites or accounts from which you permit me to collect information
- information you provide to me through customer surveys
- any other personal information that may be required in order to facilitate your dealings with me.
How do I collect personal information?
I may collect these types of personal information either directly from you, or from third parties. I may collect this information when you:
- enquire on my website
- communicate with me through correspondence, chats, email, or when you share information with me from other social applications, services or websites
- interact with my sites, services, content and advertising.
Why do I collect, use and disclose personal information?
I may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to enable you to access and use my website and services
- to operate, protect, improve and optimise my website, services, business and my users’ experience, such as to perform analytics, conduct research and for advertising and marketing
- to send you service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information requested by you
- to send you marketing and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information sent by, or on behalf of, my business partners that I think you may find interesting
- to comply with my legal obligations, resolve any disputes that I may have with any of my users, and enforce my agreements with third parties.
I may also disclose your personal information to a trusted third party who also holds other information about you. This third party may combine that information in order to enable it and me to develop anonymised consumer insights so that I can better understand your preferences and interests, personalise your experience and enhance the products and services that you receive.
Do I use your personal information for direct marketing?
I and/or my carefully selected business partners may send you direct marketing communications and information about my services. This may take the form of emails, SMS, mail or other forms of communication, in accordance with the Spam Act and the Privacy Act. You may opt-out of receiving marketing materials from me by contacting me using the details set out below or by using the opt-out prompt on the message (e.g. an unsubscribe link).
To whom do I disclose your personal information?
- third party suppliers and service providers (including providers for the operation of my websites and/or my business or in connection with providing my services to you)
- professional advisers, dealers and agents
- my existing or potential agents, business partners or partners
- anyone to whom my assets or businesses (or any part of them) are transferred
- specific third parties authorised by you to receive information held by me
- other persons, including government agencies, regulatory bodies and law enforcement agencies, or as required, authorised or permitted by law.
Using my website and cookies
I may collect personal information about you when you use and access my website.
While I don’t use browsing information to identify you personally, I may record certain information about your use of my website, such as which pages you visit, the time and date of your visit and the internet protocol address assigned to your computer.
I may also use ‘cookies’ or other similar tracking technologies on my website that help me track your website usage and remember your preferences. Cookies are small files that store information on your computer, TV, mobile phone or other device. They enable the entity that put the cookie on your device to recognise you across different websites, services, devices and/or browsing sessions. You can disable cookies through your internet browser, but my websites may not work as intended for you if you do so.
I may hold your personal information in either electronic or hard copy form.
I take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
I use a number of physical, administrative, personnel and technical measures to protect your personal information. For example: my devices and customer information files are password protected; my OS software is updated frequently; and I keep a physical lock on paper files.
However, I cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
Accessing or correcting your personal information
You can access the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the information below. Sometimes, I may not be able to provide you with access to all of your personal information and, where this is the case, I will tell you why. I may also need to verify your identity when you request your personal information.
If you think that any personal information I hold about you is inaccurate, please contact me and I will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is corrected.
Making a complaint
If you think I have breached the Privacy Act, or you wish to make a complaint about the way I have handled your personal information, you can contact me using the information below. Please include your name, email address and/or telephone number and clearly describe your complaint. I will acknowledge your complaint and respond to you regarding your complaint within a reasonable period of time. If you think that I have failed to resolve the complaint satisfactorily, I will provide you with information about the further steps you can take.
I work transparently. The following is what you can expect from me, and what I expect from you, too.
In these Terms, ‘me’, ‘I’ and ‘my’ means WORDS for things. ‘The Client’ means you, the person who has, will or might engage me on a project.
Project Terms may vary from the Terms you’re reading here. If this is the case with your project, variations will be outlined in the quote or statement of work.
Scope of work
- The scope of work means – the task the Client briefs me to do.
- The scope of work is clearly defined in the quote or statement of work sent to the Client for approval.
- If the scope changes due to the Client, I update the quote / project timings and get the Client’s agreement before continuing the job.
- When I send the quote or statement of work for approval, I include draft timings.
- Projects don’t start until:
- I have approval to do so
- The Client pays the kick-off
- I have all the information and assets required
- If the scope changes or there is a delay in providing information or feedback, I will update the project’s timings.
Accountabilities and relationships
- The Client is responsible for delivering requirements and assets in a timely fashion.
- The Client is responsible for ensuring the project fee is paid on time per the payment terms below or in the quote.
- I am responsible for ensuring the work is done to the agreed scope and to agreed deadlines.
- I am an independent contractor with respect to the Client and not an employee.
- The Client agrees to the following rights consistent with an independent contractor status:
- The Copywriter has the right to perform services for other parties during the term of the Agreement.
- The Copywriter has the sole right to control and direct the means, manner and method by which the services are performed.
- The Copywriter has the right to hire assistants as subcontractors or use employees to provide the services.
- The Client will not hire, supervise or pay any assistants to help the Copywriter.
- I bend over backwards to provide error-free work.
- I will correct typographical errors or mistakes that I’m responsible for at no charge.
- Final proofreading is the responsibility of the Client.
- I’m not responsible for checking the legality of all statements in the copy provided.
- I’m not responsible for any loss or damage due to clerical errors on my that are missed by the Client.
We (WORDs for things and the Client) agree that the copyright work delivered by me to the Client remains my property until all fees due to me have been paid.
Unless otherwise specified in the quote or statement of work:
- The Client must pay the project fee within 14 days of the date of the invoice.
- The Client pays – 50% prior to the project commencing, and 50% on completion.
- On completion means – I have delivered copy per the scope of work.
- If the job If the job remains open 30 days from the date of approval to commence, the Client is invoiced for hours completed to date.
- If the job is cancelled prior to completion, the Client is invoiced for any outstanding hours completed to date plus a cancellation fee of 20% of the total project fee.
Cancelling the project
- I may cancel the project at any time and will provide written confirmation of such.
- If the Client has paid me for work that has yet to be completed at the time of cancellation, I will refund the Client within 7 business days.
- I will not refund projects cancelled by me where:
- the Client is dishonest
- the Client has failed to observe or perform any of the terms as specified in these Project Terms or as specified in the quote or statement of work.
You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for:
- Getting access to your personal information (you can send me updated info too)
- To make a complaint
- To send me a cracking brief
Credit where it’s due
I’ve used resources from the following businesses in the development of my terms and policies. (But so we’re clear, I take all responsibility for the above.)